Mendoza College of Business - ourgujrat.in

Mendoza College of Business

The Mendoza College of Business consists of two buildings on the south end of campus: The Mendoza building built in 1995 and the Stayer Center opened in 2013. Together, the two spaces offer the 370-seat Jordan Auditorium, two chapels and many learning and gathering spaces for the College’s more than 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

Mendoza College of Business

Mendoza was founded in 1921 with John Cardinal O’Hara serving as the first dean. In establishing the College of Foreign and Domestic Commerce, as it was known, O’Hara wrote, “The primary function of commerce is service to mankind. Business has a code of ethics based very largely on divine principles. When this code is followed, commerce can and does advance civilization. When it is overlooked by selfish interests, individual or national, every sort of injustice, from petty thievery to world war, may result.”

History

Business and commerce classes had been taught at Notre Dame since its foundation, and already in 1853 there was a Mercantile Department. The teaching of business was yet fragmented for many years, with the Department disappearing from 1856 to 1860, and then being reformulated as a Two-year Commercial Course in 1863.

This course taught Book-keeping, Penmanship, Arithmetic, Algebra, English Grammar and Composition, Elocution, Geography, History, German, Business Practice, and Commercial Law and was stable for several years. In 1905, it was renamed Commercial School and it became a one-year program. In 1910 meanwhile, the program was inserted into the preparatory school curriculum and became a for year course. Meanwhile, in 1913, a proper Department of Commerce was established within the College of Arts and Letters.

Specialized Master’s

  • Master of Science in Accountancy
  • Master of Science in Business Analytics
  • Master of Science in Business Analytics Sports Analytics
  • Master of Science in Finance
  • Master of Science in Management
  • Master of Nonprofit Administration

Mendoza College of Business

When the College’s current location opened in 1995, the ship was moved and placed atop a wave-shaped pedestal in the courtyard. The building, shaped like a giant “H,” was designed with other features suggesting the nautical theme; perhaps most prominent is the grand central staircase, which is patterned after a mariner’s compass at its base, while the ceiling holds a skylight to signify unlimited future prospects.

In 2000, the College became the Mendoza College of Business as a result of a gift from alum Tom Mendoza, an executive with Silicon Valley-based NetApp.

The Stayer Center situated to the south of Mendoza is home to the Notre Dame MBA and Executive MBA programs. The 54,000-square-foot building was made possible by a gift from finance alumnus Ralph C. Stayer (’65). The Collegiate Gothic-styled center includes classrooms, team breakout rooms, several student lounges, a flexible multipurpose space, administrative offices and the St. Matthew Chapel.

Important Links

Home PageClick Here
Other DetailsClick Here

Leave a Comment